The world we live in is currently enveloped by the dreaded COVID-19 pandemic. This lingering disease is a formidable opponent and we all have to be aware that it is going to stay with us for a little while before a vaccine is developed.
Now if you weren’t sick enough of Covid (no pun intended), you can now play the new game from publisher Jujubee S.A, released on May 29th 2020.
It’s had some great reviews by gamers that want to simulate the outbreak and see how they would deal with it. Using it as a simulator to see if it would have helped to lock down sooner or later. Mandate masks earlier and so on. At it’s heart though, it is a computer game, designed for fun and experimentation.
“I figured I’d chime in. If you can bash a game without actually playing it, I suppose I can lavish praise on it in the same fashion. For those who think the game is in poor taste, fine…don’t buy it. But how about let’s keep this site free from the childish ass cancel culture that says if I don’t like it, it shouldn’t exist. Because I can promise you this, for everyone of you who think this way, there are a likely a boatload of people who don’t like you…should you be cancelled??”Positive review from bdarks772 – Not a verified owner
It’s also been heavily mocked as a terrible game and insensitive by reviewers that have submitted reviews but haven’t actually played it. This has given it a current score of just 2.2 out of 5 on GOG.com, but has a score of 4.3/5 from the people that actually own it. A little insensitive it may be in my opinion, but it’s educational benefit should not be overlooked.
Wow. People are dying in the hundreds of thousands, RIGHT NOW. Let’s have fun at their expense. Disgusting. Take it down.Negative review from Tastytoast225 – Not a verified owner
The developer Jujubee has also pledge to donate 20% of all net sales from GOG.com to the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) and other charitable foundations supporting the fight against the consequences of the coronavirus pandemic.
Here is an excerpt of their donation pledge:
The world we live in is currently enveloped by the dreaded COVID-19 pandemic. This lingering disease is a formidable opponent and we all have to be aware that it is going to stay with us for a little while before a vaccine is developed. This brings us to the topic at hand as Jujubee would like to declare its participation in fighting this coronavirus head-on. We’ve decided that 20% of all our net GOG sales throughout the month of May and June will be donated to the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) and other charitable foundations supporting the fight against the consequences of the coronavirus pandemic.From GOG.com product information page.
As the leader of the Global Health Organization (GHO) your task is to contain the spread of a coronavirus and save humanity before it is too late.
In addition to crisis management, the game provides the players with information on how to behave in the event of an epidemic, what actions to take, and how to protect themselves and their loved ones in the most effective way. The game is based on the data published by WHO and on the information acquired from experts and consultants.
Through your actions, you will be able to see how difficult it is to manage during a crisis, what impact various decisions can have on an effective fight against a global epidemic, which can be caused by listening to charlatans or the lack of appropriate medical equipment.
The virus will adapt to your actions by means of mutation so you must predict and take into account its transmission abilities, time of incubation, drug resistance, and a whole lot more. Decide whether a country should close its borders and quarantine citizens to reduce the number of new infections, or construct new hospitals and emergency tents to speed up the recovery of the already infected. Choose wisely.
- Pandemic Management – advise the world what needs to be done in order to survive the dreadful disease; manage funds, staff, medicine, and research priorities.
- Issue Emergency Decrees – declare national emergency and close borders, enforce obligatory vaccination, close schools and airports. Do whatever it takes to stop the coronavirus.
- Research New Projects – developing new ways to fight off the disease is a sound strategy. Remember to be cautious as your enemy may mutate, rendering your newly acquired ability completely useless.
- Unpredictable Events – how you handle the ongoing fake news, mass stockpiling of supplies, or people ignoring the incoming threat will go a long way towards deciding whether you will prevail against the disease, or succumb to it.
- Construct Vital Buildings – build hospitals, emergency tents, research institutions, checkpoints, police stations, and a whole lot more. Every building you enact may become the decisive factor in stopping the outbreak.
- Games Beyond™ – educate yourself on how a coronavirus operates, what can you do if you become infected, and why quarantines are issued. Understand why a pandemic is a threat to humanity.
What do you think of a developer making a game about a virus that is said to have killed so many people? Do you think a donation is good or should the game not have been made altogether? Do you play the game and do you love it? Or do you think it should be relegated to the £1 bin?
Please leave a comment and get the discussion rolling. Happy gaming and stay safe and healthy.